Think warm summer months are the only time to go beach camping? Think again! El Capitan State Beach, just seventeen miles west of Santa Barbara, California, is fabulous year-round, with attractive winter temps in the 60s.
That means perfect beach-hiking weather, plus access to a whole range of other outdoor activities. El Capitan’s oak-covered bluffs, rocky beach and on-site RV campground are just three more reasons to come here this winter.
Need a little more incentive? Here’s a suggested itinerary for camping at El Capitan State Beach, adjustable for your family’s level of activity.
- Reserve your El Capitan SB campsite as far in advance as possible. It’s a popular spot! Most campsites have awesome ocean views and are a short walk from the beach.
- Pick up your Van Nuys RV rental and head up US-101 two hours (through Oxnard and Ventura) to El Capitan SB. Alternately, you could pick up your El Monte CA RV rental and drive just a bit longer on the same highway. Either location is close to LAX.
- Once you’ve set up camp, walk the steps down to the beach (if its low tide) and experience the splendor of California’s Gaviota Coast first hand. Watch for sea life in the tide pools formed by rocky outcroppings and keep an eye out to sea—you just might see dolphins and grey whales close to shore!
- From the seaside RV campground, watch the sunset with your family. The bluffs are magnificent at sundown!
- Camping with youngsters? Take the short nature trail through giant sycamores and along the beach for even more stunning views of the shoreline.
- Book a kayak tour from Refugio State Beach (just down the road) to El Capitan SB for on-the-water exploration of sea life and coastal ecology.
- Here’s another idea—bring your own kayak and go surf fishing for surfperch and other species while exploring the protected shoreline just past the campground.
- Don’t miss the chance to visit Channel Islands National Park, just off the coast, by taking a boat tour to one of the islands. Click here for more information. Tip—the whale watching tour in winter is awesome!
Need just a little more incentive to come our way? The town of Santa Barbara is a great place for a day trip, an evening out or some well-deserved shopping. Save some time to get to know this lovely spot, famous for its Spanish architecture. There’s a reason so many people spend the winter here!
Winter beach camping at El Capitan State Beach is a fantastic way to unwind, so why not make it a priority this year? The windswept beauty, convenient oceanside campground, proximity to other state and national parks and abundant outdoor activities will bring you, like so many other seasoned RV travelers, back to El Capitan winter after winter.