Close enough to Washington, DC to allow easy day trips and right in the center of historic and natural attractions, Sterling, Virginia is a great place to visit by RV. As you plan your Virginia RV vacation, follow these five tips for seeing Sterling, VA by RV.
- Enjoy the flavors of the region surrounding Sterling along the Loudon County Wine Trail. More than a dozen wineries populate the countryside within an hour’s drive of Sterling, and many are open for touring and wine tasting. Northeast Loudon County is home to Tarara Winery on Shadow Lake, Corcoran Vineyard near the village of Hillsboro and a nice collection of neighboring vineyards waiting to offer RVers their luscious products. Call ahead for wine tasting and special event schedules.
- Civil War history fans RV camping near Sterling, Virginia will soon discover an area steeped in battlefields and historic sites related to the War Between the States. The Ball’s Bluff Battlefield Regional Park and National Cemetery offer trails and informative markers throughout the site of the area’s largest Civil War battlefield.
- For an even greater understanding of the role this region played during the Civil War, walk the heritage trail and explore the exhibits at Manassas National Battlefield. Only thirty minutes from Sterling, the story Manassas tells is one you won’t soon forget. Excellent day trip for families with school-aged RVers.
- Paddle the Potomac, play a challenging round of golf or hike a wonderfully scenic riverfront trail right in Sterling at Algonkian Regional Park. The popular 18-hole, par-72 public golf course is a great place to spend a morning while RV camping in Sterling, Virginia. The park is also the perfect launch point for a paddling tour of the Islands of the Potomac. In addition, active RVers will find the park’s section of the Potomac Heritage Trail filled with natural wonders waiting to be discovered.
- And we’d steer you wrong if we steered Sterling, VA RV campers away from Washington, DC attractions. Whether you’re visiting the nation’s capitol for the first time or it’s one of your favorite destinations, RV camping near Sterling gives you easy access to all DC has to offer. The Smithsonian, the monuments and the seat of US government will fill you with wonder, so don’t miss them while in Sterling.
Base your next RV camping trip in Sterling, Virginia to find a whole new world of adventure. With so much history, culture and nature to experience here, isn’t it time you turned your RV toward Sterling?