RV camping fans who also love cars should plan to be in Wichita, Kansas August 26-29! That’s where they’re revving up for the Blacktop Nationals, a four-day car and motorcycle event in America’s Heartland. With plenty of campgrounds within easy driving distance, this auto extravaganza promises to become a major RV camping destination.
Why an RV Trip to the Blacktop Nationals?
Wichita’s history of innovation (it’s home to Coleman, Pizza Hut, Cessna, Big Dog Motorcycles, LearJet and Beechcraft, just to name a few) make it a natural birthplace for a new kind of vehicle exhibition. Local hotrodders put an innovative spin on a perennial American favorite, the custom car show, and created four days of events that promise to draw tens of thousands of car and motorcycle fans.
So much more than a regional car show, the Blacktop Nationals, thanks to the generosity of sponsors like Ford, Valvoline, Coors and MillerLite, offers custom car and motorcycle owners the chance to compete for $100,000 in prizes in fifteen classes. And that’s just the first turn of the wrench – attendees will also have a chance to see exotics at the concourse show, motorcycle flat track racing and dozens of other attractions over four days.
Planners for this mega-event expect to attract more than sixty-five hundred custom and muscle cars and ten thousand motorcycles, giving RV travelers the rare chance to see all their favorite machines in one place. What makes this a must-do for car and bike lovers is that it’s also going to raise money for scholarships for a unique car restoration program at a local college as well as the Kansas Aviation Museum.
Here are some of the events scheduled for the Blacktop Nationals:
- Collector Car Auction – Spanky Assiter of Barrett-Jackson Auction fame will be on-hand to auction classic cars, trucks and motorcycles.
- Street Car AutoCross Shootout – Watch dozens of street legal muscle cars and street rods make timed runs that test not only the car but the driver’s street creds!
- DriftCup Drifting Exhibition – The Drift Cup Association will display drifting skills at more than one hundred miles per hour.
- Concourse Exhibition – Rare and exotic vehicles from all over America will be on display.
- Custom Car, Muscle Car and Motorcycle Show – this massive competition will take place throughout the streets of downtown Wichita, where nationally-known designers like Darryl Starbird and Rob Holzman once made hotrod history.
- Motorcycle Events-Make plans to enjoy the bike slow drags, vintage flattop racing, Fallen Hero Ride and Bikers for Babies Poker Run (not to mention seeing thousands of hot bikes in the same place!)
- Cruise Nights-Remember American Graffiti? Wichita’s time-honored tradition of “Dragging Douglas Street” on weekend nights will be reborn in a parade of classic cars and bikes cruising on a closed route through the heart of the city.
Combine these events with art and vendor exhibitions, concerts and special drive-in movie cruises, and you’ve got an idea of what the Blacktop Nationals have to offer.
RV Camping in Wichita, KS
Good news! There are hundreds of RV campsites within thirty minutes of the Blacktop Nationals action. Here’s a list of RV campgrounds in the Wichita area:
- All Seasons RV Campground – Goddard
- Blasi Campground – Wichita
- Cheney Reservoir State Park – Cheney
- Deer Grove RV Park – El Dorado
- K&R RV Park – Wichita
- Northstar RV Park – Valley Center
- USI RV Park – Wichita
How to get to Wichita? That part’s simple, thanks to easy access via two major interstates. I-70 makes a stop in Salina, KS, then it’s south ninety miles to Wichita on I-135. I-35 runs right through the heart of the city, also making it a straight shot from Oklahoma City, Kansas City and Dallas.
If cruising classic car shows on a summer weekend gets your motor running, make plans to be in Wichita, Kansas in August. With affordable RV camping just minutes away and thousands of cars, motorcycles and trucks to enjoy, this could be the highlight of your car-loving family’s summer!