Did you know that fifteen major league baseball teams head to Florida each year for spring training? During the month of March, more than a million fans watch “Grapefruit League” spring training games, and RV campers who love baseball are always in the stands.
The possibilities for being in the stands are fantastic, with some early planning. Here’s a quick look at the Florida cities that host Grapefruit League games each year (courtesy Florida Grapefruit League Association):
- Atlanta Braves – Lake Buena Vista
- Baltimore Orioles – Sarasota
- Boston Red Sox – Fort Myers
- Detroit Tigers – Lakeland
- Florida Marlins – Jupiter
- Houston Astros – Kissimmee
- Minnesota Twins – Fort Myers
- New York Mets – Port St. Lucie
- New York Yankees – Tampa
- Philadelphia Phillies – Clearwater
- Pittsburgh Pirates – Bradenton
- St. Louis Cardinals – Jupiter
- Tampa Bay Rays – Port Charlotte
- Toronto Blue Jays – Dunedin
- Washington Nationals – Viera
We did a little advanced scouting and found some great RV campgrounds near spring training venues. Use our list to help plan your trip, or reserve a campsite at your own favorite Florida campground, instead.
Here are our top picks for Florida RV campgrounds this spring:
- Sun-n-Fun RV Resort – Sarasota: Your family will love this very large camping resort close to the Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates spring training fields.
- Calusa Cove RV Resort – Fort Myers: Why not plan to see both the Boston Red Sox and the Minnesota Twins in Grapefruit League games? This beautifully wooded RV campground is the perfect home base.
- Bay Bayou RV Resort – Tampa: Camp in luxury and watch the New York Yankees work out at George Steinbrenner Field, a miniature replica of Yankee Stadium.
As you can see, there are fifteen great venues to visit in March if you enjoy combining great baseball action with comfortable RV camping. So, here’s the game plan: use this handy link to Grapefruit League team schedules, plan an itinerary and then contact one of our Florida RV Rental locations to reserve a motorhome for the trip. With RV rental locations in Miami, Orlando and Palm Harbor, picking up your RV for your spring training pilgrimage is a breeze. See you at the stadium!